Wednesday 2 January 2013

Tank Top Catastrophe!


Happy New Year my fellow knitters,

As the title suggests the tank top I mentioned in my last blog did not quite make it into a Christmas present and may need rethinking. I am desperately disappointed and now realise that one of my many resolutions for 2013 must be to learn how to read and follow a pattern!  Which is very lucky as one of my favourite Christmas presents was a fabulous knitting book. (I really should have read something like this before I started my knitting adventure...)   



Knittygritty is really easy to follow, colourful and the order of 'How to...' pages followed by a pattern utilising those stitches makes sense.  The book is made up of an enormous variety of easy projects such as hats, scarves, bags, flowers, cushions and many more.  I think I will start with the hot water bottle cover - it looks simple and is something I could add individual decoration too.  The 'How to' pages use clear photos and the patterns explain what the abbreviations mean in clear English.  I have only two criticisms of the book.  Firstly, it would have been better if the book had been a ring binder rather than a regular book binding - much easier for when I need two hands on my knitting instead of holding the book open.  Secondly, the book uses terms such as 'manly' and 'girlie' for items such as the scarves.  I really think society has moved on from the image of a woman only wearing floaty items and men wearing heavier items.  But hey ho, only minor criticisms of an otherwise fabulous book that I can't wait to get started on. 

I have managed to establish how to upload photos to this blog which I think add such a lot rather than just plain writing.  I am also learning a lot from other knitters, particuarly on www.ravelry.com an online knitting community - my username on ravelry is pinksamc please feel free to add me.  There is such a wealth of information on there, particularly for novices like me. 

Anyway, until next time knitters.

Sam x

The lovely Lulu x




4 comments:

  1. Hi Sam. I found your blog through Ravelry. I look forward to seeing what you do about the dog coats though I certainly hope you don't lose your job...cuts into the wool budget ;)
    Have fun with the blog. ~~Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drat - just wrote a msg but it has disappeared... anyway! What a good start to your blog! I've been doing mine for about a year and I love writing it. I hope you don't lose your job - but I think dog coats are a great idea!

    Oh, and you're so right about 'manly' and 'girly' clothes - ggrrr!

    I'll link your blog to my blogroll.

    x Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow thanks Grace! Just checked out your blog - fabulous, I'll add it to my blogroll (once I work out how to!)x

    ReplyDelete